Friday, January 27, 2012

Color Changes


Hellion Rider Book #1

So Here are some examples of the color differences between book 01 and book 02.  In the new book I'm using gradient layers to try to give it an environmental light tones.  I'm still using the techniques of pencil sketch, scanned images, to digital clean up and finally digital coloring.
Why pencil drawing instead of digital drawing?
This is something I get asked a lot, and to be honest the answer is very simple.  I like how the pencil looks versus a digital drawing.  There's something about it that has such a raw appeal, and a livelier amount of flow and rhythm you sometimes miss when you do the image all digital. I like to think that I preserved some of this raw element by skipping inking and jumping right to clean ups.  Why do I like this... I'm not sure, but I believe it can be traced back to my heavy influence of classic Disney movies.  In many of these remastered movies you can still see pencil strokes, and at times hair.  It makes it human and truly unique.  I love that human touch.
Anyway... I finally reached page 09.  Move on. :D
Hellion Rider Book  #2

No comments:

Post a Comment